Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Lafcadio by As Tall As Lions (2004)



This band, I've mentioned them before, really does blow my mind. They give me close to that new being-in-love feeling. Which I guess is what I mainly look for in a band, something I didn't realize until recently. My favorite all-time bands, Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, As Tall As Lions, and Animal Collective all renew feelings I felt back when I was 15 and 16, when I thought I knew who I'd spend the rest of my life with and when I thought everything was going to be perfect from then on. Anyone over 20 knows it doesn't work out like that. But everyone has felt that feeling at some point. It's a beautiful thing, and the only way those feelings can be manifested is through the graceful art of music. Shakespeare said "if music be the food of love, play on", and couldn't have been more right.


Nowadays, with a war raging on that no one is talking about, people starving all over the world and a planet being taken over by the mega-wealthy, music is the only escape we have. Whether it be comedic like Flight of the Conchords or heart-melting like As Tall As Lions, no music is "wrong", ever. No person's music taste is better than another's.

I mean think about it, we are a species that always falls back onto music. Does any other species dance, or move to rhythm, or react to melodies to the extent humans do, or at all?

Sometimes I really believe we were meant to just play music and learn to love through that music, and fuck all the rest. I mean, if we didn't know that we could have a warm house, a clean, soft bed, and deliciously unhealthy fast food, would we miss it? If all we had was music and our bodies, would we be better off? Video related.


Track Listing:
  1. Break Blossom
  2. 96 Heartbeats
  3. Silhouettes/Silhouetting
  4. The Carousel
  5. Acrobat
  6. Why We Cry At Movies
  7. If I'm Not Out Burning
  8. My Glowing Morning Dreams
  9. A Ghost In Drag
  10. Blowing Out A Wish
  11. Goodnite, Noises Everywhere


www.myspace.com/astallaslions

Enjoy

1 comment:

Unknown said...

for some reason, the band hates this album. its obviously not as fully realized, but i think there are some real strong songs and the vocals are already on point.

good post.